It’s Important to Protect Your Pet All Season Long

0023_random_aehnt

During the holiday season, there are so many dangers our pets may encounter, but if a few extra precautions are taken, you can keep your best friend safe. We see many pet emergencies all year round, but the most common emergencies during the holiday season are often related to holiday foods and décor.

Top 5 Most Common Holiday Dangers

These are some of the most common dangers that are often seen during the holiday season:

  • While we can handle having a few drinks in celebration of the season, our pets cannot. It’s important to always keep alcoholic beverages out your of your pet’s reach to ensure that they’re safe from the danger of alcohol poisoning.
  • Christmas trees. It isn’t the holiday season without a festive tree! However, these lovely decorations can also cause a few hazards in the home. Christmas trees can be knocked over by overly adventurous and curious pets, causing damage to the home and injury to the animals!
  • Electrical cords. Does your best friend like to chew? The sight of all those new cords under the tree may be too appealing for your pet, so we recommend disguising and hiding electrical cords to prevent your pet’s curiosity. It’s also important that they never be left unattended around the decorations!
  • Holiday meals and sweets. You hear all year round that there are foods your pet should never consume, but during the holiday season we have so much more of those dangerous foods around the house! Traditional holiday meals contain so many of those dangers, like poultry bones, onions, garlic, grapes, and more. In addition, we often do a lot of baking during the holidays, introducing our pets to even more potential dangers with chocolate, sugar, macadamia nuts, raisins, and more. Keep those foods and treats out of your pet’s reach at all times!
  • Poinsettias and other holiday plants. For some odd reason, the most popular plants to bring inside the home at the holidays are toxic to your pet! Poinsettias, amaryllis, and lilies of all kinds are dangerous and we recommend keeping them out of your pet’s reach at all times. You may also want to consider purchasing silk flowers for the look of the festive plant without the dangers.

If you have any questions about your pet’s safety and well-being this holiday season, please contact our team with questions. That’s what we’re here for! Have a happy and safe holiday with your pet this year.

Will This Kill My Pet?

At Animal Emergency Hospital of North Texas, we hear this question a lot. The good news is that there are toxins that are actually not dangerous for our pets if they’re consumed! If your pet has eaten one of these three common household items, rest assured that the results will not be fatal. If you still have questions or concerns about your pet’s safety, please don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can help you with your pet’s needs.

My Cat or Dog Ate Ant Bait

Why is it that our pets, especially dogs, are often drawn to these kinds of substances? Well, ironically things like peanut butter and other sugary sweet substances attract ants and dogs both. If your pet consumes ant bait, the concentration of toxins in each application is generally so minimal that most pets are just fine. However, if your pet eats the plastic casing for ant bait, there could be a concern with foreign body obstruction.

 

My Dog Ate Silica Gel

You know those little packets that come in shoeboxes and purses? They don’t even smell or taste appetizing, but for some reason many dogs will eat them. If yours does, rest assured she will be fine. These packets may cause stomach aches, but nothing serious will happen to her.

 

My Cat Ate Glow Sticks

 Why? We don’t know. Many cats just love consuming glow sticks. When they do, they may exhibit signs that they’ve been poisoned. Their distress will manifest itself in the form of drooling, foaming, head shaking, running around, even hiding. This is not because they’ve been poisoned but because the taste is extremely bitter! If your cat eats a glow stick, try to wipe out his mouth and give him something tasty to eat. He will feel better soon!