Oleanders are Poisonous to Pets

Harmful Flowers to Pets

Oleanders are beautiful flowers often seen along roadsides in the North Texas community, but did you know that these stunning plants are also toxic for animals, including cats and dogs, but even horses, cows, and birds? The level of toxicity caused by the consumption of parts of the oleander may be severe. Signs that your pet has been poisoned by an oleander plant include:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Cardiac arrhythmias
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Death

What is an Oleander?

An oleander is an outdoor shrub known for its evergreen qualities and it’s small, delicate flowers. These plants are native to Texas but can also be found in other warm climates such as California and Hawaii.

Other plants with similar poisonous effects include

  • Dogbane
  • Giant milkweed
  • Foxglove
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lily of the valley
  • Milkweed
  • Star of Bethlehem

The toxins contained in these plans are similar to certain human and animal heart medications. The level of toxicity is contingent on the amount of the plant that is consumed. If the plant is picked and put into a vase, the water in the vase may even take on toxic properties.

It is safer for your pet if you avoid having this and other toxic plants in your home and yard. Keep a close watch on your pet while you are on walks and adventures to ensure that they do not consume a toxic plant. If they do, please contact us at the Animal Emergency Hospital of North Texas immediately to ensure that emergency care is administered right away.