At Animal Emergency Hospital of North Texas, we hear this question a lot. The good news is that there are toxins that are actually not dangerous for our pets if they’re consumed! If your pet has eaten one of these three common household items, rest assured that the results will not be fatal. If you still have questions or concerns about your pet’s safety, please don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can help you with your pet’s needs.
My Cat or Dog Ate Ant Bait
Why is it that our pets, especially dogs, are often drawn to these kinds of substances? Well, ironically things like peanut butter and other sugary sweet substances attract ants and dogs both. If your pet consumes ant bait, the concentration of toxins in each application is generally so minimal that most pets are just fine. However, if your pet eats the plastic casing for ant bait, there could be a concern with foreign body obstruction.
My Dog Ate Silica Gel
You know those little packets that come in shoeboxes and purses? They don’t even smell or taste appetizing, but for some reason many dogs will eat them. If yours does, rest assured she will be fine. These packets may cause stomach aches, but nothing serious will happen to her.
My Cat Ate Glow Sticks
Why? We don’t know. Many cats just love consuming glow sticks. When they do, they may exhibit signs that they’ve been poisoned. Their distress will manifest itself in the form of drooling, foaming, head shaking, running around, even hiding. This is not because they’ve been poisoned but because the taste is extremely bitter! If your cat eats a glow stick, try to wipe out his mouth and give him something tasty to eat. He will feel better soon!